[vtkusers] gcc 3.4.1 build issues

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:38:28 EDT 2004

oops, It wasn't a gcc problem at all. I had apparently installed an
alpha version of TCL without thinking twice about it.

Perhaps I found a small buglet anyway though.
I looked in the code a bit and it was adding a "const" to the last
argument, as required by tcl8.5, if the version was tcl8.5.... AND the
release was a 'final' release. As in:

#if (TCL_MAJOR_VERSION == 8) && (TCL_MINOR_VERSION >= 4 &&
TCL_RELEASE_LEVEL >= TCL_FINAL_RELEASE)

In my /usr/local/include/tcl.h, I have:

#define TCL_ALPHA_RELEASE  0
#define TCL_BETA_RELEASE   1
#define TCL_FINAL_RELEASE  2

Thus, the above code will only add the const if you have built a TCL
release, yet one would want a const for any TCL version 8.4+.

So perhaps that 3rd check should be removed.

-tom