[vtkusers] Problems compiling VTK on Red Hat Linux

Michael Rivera mrivera at sandia.gov
Wed Jul 14 12:06:26 EDT 2004

Hello,

 I'm am trying to compile VTK from the source code for my Intel box that
is running Red Hat Linux. The configuration I am running is:

 Red Hat Linux 9.0 and and intel processer
gcc compiler 3.2.2
VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz

 I get major errors for the subroutine vtkDataArraySelection.cxx. A
sample below is included below.
**********
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.cxx:36: parse error
before `<'
       token
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.cxx:37: parse error
before `<'
       token
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.cxx: In constructor
   `    vtkDataArraySelection::vtkDataArraySelection()':
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.cxx:42: invalid use of
       undefined type `class vtkDataArraySelectionArrayNamesType'
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.h:31: forward
declaration of `
       class vtkDataArraySelectionArrayNamesType'
    /usr/local/src/VTK/Common/vtkDataArraySelection.cxx:43: invalid use of
       undefined type `class vtkDataArraySelectionArraySettingsType'

(And the list goes on because it cannot identify the defined classes)
***********

 I also downloaded  the nightly release of this subroutine with similar
results. I defined the VTK_DATA_ROOT, VTK_ROOT with  BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON, VTK_WRAP_TCL=ON and VTK_WRAP_PYTHON=ON. Maybe I'm
just missing something extra from my path or something like that. Maybe
I should upgrade the compiler?

 I am familiar with VTK for Windows systems. I have installed the
binaries for both Windows 98 and Windows XP Pro. No problems there. I'd
like to get it going on the Linux box. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Rivera