[vtkusers] How to generate streamlines on surfaces?

Petru Pau ppau at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu Jul 8 08:20:10 EDT 2004

Once a vtkPolyData is given, generating streamlines according to some vector
fields is done easily in VTK.

If the seed points of the streamlines are on the surface of an object,
the streamline
can leave this surface - see the attached image for an example. Here the
3D object
consists of two triangular faces, and the vector data is visualised with
the cone glyphs,
in each point (vertex).

You can see how the streamline goes astray from the surface.

I need to restrict the streamlines to the surfaces. More exactly, the
streamlines should
not leave the surface. Is there an implementation of an algorithm that
does this?

If  there is no implementation for such a construct, I would very much
appreciate
a "No" from the developers or experienced users.

Petru