[vtkusers] runtime crash of vtkpython on IRIX

Donna Hanlon donna at pulvinar.wustl.edu
Wed Jul 7 16:45:54 EDT 2004

Hi Curtis,

 > I am experiencing a runtime crash of vtkpython on the Python example
 > scripts.  Are any users on IRIX successfully using vtkpython and can
offer
 > suggestions?  I have compiled VTK 4.2.6 with TCL and Python wrappers.
 > Python runs standalone.  The VTK/TCL wrappers work OK, but vtkpython
 > crashes
 > on the "import vtk" line with the following message:
 >
 > Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
 >
 > I have tried with both Python 2.3 and Python 2.1.  VTK is built with IRIX
 > version 7.4 compilers.  Python is built with gcc 3.2.1.  I have also
tried
 > to initialize the site-packages to install VTK with the standard python
 > interpreter, and I experience the same crash when trying to load the vtk
 > libraries.

We have a vtkpython application running on IRIX, but the vtk version is
4.1.1 with python 2.1.3 built with gcc 3.2.0.

I run into trouble building the components (tcl/tk, python, vtk) with
mixed compilers.  If I stick with the same compiler, it seems to work;
otherwise, runtime trouble.  Kitware helped us organize the build
process with this script:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/surefit/SureFitSrc/BuildSureFit?rev=1.22

Other platforms are covered, too, but search for IRIX to see what flags
are used.

Donna Hanlon