[vtkusers] VTK 3D Structured Grid Problem

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jul 7 14:46:49 EDT 2004

    AG> Hello NG,
    AG>       I'm working with a 3D structured grid in VTK, using
    AG>       Python and the
    AG> wrapping vtkpython. What I do is as follows:

    AG> 1) Using Fortran, via a Python-Fortran interface, I read a 3D
    AG>    grid coming from
    AG> another application. This 3D grid is now on a matrix with
    AG> shape (8,nx*ny*nz), every cell is identified by 8 coordinates
    AG> (first index of the matrix) and I have globally nx*ny*nz cells
    AG> (second index of the matrix);
[...]

You might want to get your data into a Numeric Array and then use the
SetVoidArray method of the VTK data arrays to set the data without
looping in Python.  This thread might help:

 http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-December/064496.html

These examples may also help (although they use MayaVi the way they
setup the data should be useful to look at):

 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4943164&forum_id=1824

 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4793280&forum_id=1824

cheers,
prabhu