[vtkusers] Re: building isosurfaces from non-parallel slices

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 1 11:38:15 EDT 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:27:40 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Fred August <pitoz at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [vtkusers] building isosurfaces from non-parallel slices
> To: vtkusers at vtk.org
>
> Hello all.
> Yet again another newbie question. Here it goes:
>
> is there any way to build an isosurface from a set of
> non parallel slices? Moreover is it possible to build
> isosurface from a set of redundant non-parallel
> slices?
>
> an example of what I need to do: let's say that you
> want to build a 3D model given a set of slices taken
> using a sensorized hand-held ultrasound. And let's say
> that you've taken various passes of the same area
> using the handheld ultrasound probe. What to do?
>
> thank you in advance, once again.
>
> fred

Fred,

As long a you can positively locate the slices relative to one another,
you could try reconstructing (or fusing) the slices into a single
unstructured grid dataset. An unstructured grid can be contoured as well
as directly volume rendered. If this is too inefficient or incurs too
much memory overhead, you could resample the unstructured grid onto a
structured points dataset.

The real trick, however, may be locating each slice in space ...
especially if you are using a handheld device. You will have to find a
way of determining a fiducial for each slice ... unless you have such
marks embedded in the sample.

-Sean