[vtkusers] volume creation [part 1]

John Fourkiotis gfourk at zeus.csd.auth.gr
Thu Jul 1 04:23:56 EDT 2004

Hello ...after recovering form a complete HDD failure...:(

since i am new to vtk, and the whole lib seems to be immense, i decided to
take the thing step by step...Let's say that we want to create a volume
[which is made of voxels], a cubic volume or a spherical volume etc...Now
let's suppose that in the future we would like to be able to sculpture
this volume of ours. Which classes should be used for the volume creation
process ? I checked a couple of examples in Python, and the procedure for
the volume rendering seems to be:

vtkPiecewiseFunction	|
				|-->vtkVolumeProperty->vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D*->...
vtkColorTransferFunction|			...->[GetOutput from
vtkStructuredPointReader]->vtkVolume->render

now, if i dont want to read the data from files (as it happens with
vtkStructuredPointReader), can i use another class to just create them ?
Is this possible with vtkDataSourceToStructurePointsFilter ?

* when i use
vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D->SetInput(vtkStructuredPointReader->GetOutput...)
the compiler (VC++ 6.0) demands a cast to vtkImageData. Is that normal? I
guess python needs no casts then ...

Thanx

John S. Fourkiotis