[vtkusers] take care with Mydoom.A virus

Jeremy Winston jbw at ieee.org
Wed Jan 28 10:56:17 EST 2004

Charl P. Botha wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:48, David Català wrote:
> > I think some people of this list has send this virus
> > with mails which subject is "Test" & "Hello"
> > you can see information about this in:
> > http://www.pandasoftware.es/virus_info/enciclopedia/verficha.aspx?lst=det&idvirus=44140
>
> Please read the virus description in more detail.  This virus forges the
> From address, i.e. the email doesn't really come from the email address
> in the "From" field.
> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MIMAIL.R

Yes, however, it is reasonable to assume that someone who is subscribed
to the list is infected, since the infected messages were sent to
vtkusers(@)vtk.org which address was most likely harvested from an
infected user's address book.

The infected machine (with IP address 202.175.58.14) is at Macau University
of Science and Technology; if you, dear reader, are also there, make sure
you're not infected.

Thanks,
-Jeremy