[vtkusers] Building VTK 4.4 on Mac OS X 10.2.6 (SetFrontProcess failed,-606)

Gordon Kindlmann gk at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jan 14 13:45:11 EST 2004

hi,

> 	Try this example :
>
> $vtk VTK/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Tcl/Cone.tcl

Yes, this example runs, as it requires and accepts no user interaction.
  This example, however:

   Examples/Tutorial/Step5/Tcl/Cone5.tcl

does not seem to be working, since its purpose seems to be a
demonstration of the vtkRenderWindowInteractor.  I can't bring the
resulting window to the foreground, I can't interact with the cone, and
the only to quit the program is via ^C in the parent shell.  By the
way, all the examples generate copious warning messages:

   2004-01-14 11:09:52.754 vtk[14393] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object
0xa30783b0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
just leaking
   2004-01-14 11:09:52.758 vtk[14393] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object
0xa3078250 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place -
just leaking

Are these a problem?

I've gotten feedback from another list member pointing out that the
basic problem with user interaction is that the vtk executable is not a
properly blessed Mac OS X application, because it doesn't reside in a
directory ending with ".app", which in turn contains the various
resources needed to create a proper application. And this has come up
on the list before:
<http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-July/012311.html>

And someone from kitware seemed to have provided something of an answer
to this:
<http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-September/
013341.html>

I was able to run these commands (filling the missing "mkdir"s of the
intermediate directories), and this did indeed create a vtk
application.  When I ran this ("open vtk.app"), I was able to select
"Source ..." from the File menu, and I selected the Cone5.tcl example,
at which point the original window disappeared, and I got a new window
with the cone.  But this new window could not be interacted with, or
brought to the foreground.  What is the intended way to run the vtk
application created by these commands?

So, unfortunately I'm not really any further along.

Please advise on where to go from here,
Gordon