[vtkusers] Building VTK 4.4 on Mac OS X 10.2.6 (SetFrontProcess failed,-606)

Gordon Kindlmann gk at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 13 19:49:27 EST 2004

hi,

>> c++        -Wno-deprecated -no-cpp-precomp -fPIC  vtkTkAppInit.o
>> -o /Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin/vtk  -L. -L/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin
>> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lvtkCommonTCL -lvtkFilteringTCL -lvtkGraphicsTCL
>> -lvtkImagingTCL -lvtkIOTCL -lvtkRenderingTCL -lvtkPatentedTCL
>> -lvtkRendering -lvtkftgl -lvtkfreetype -framework AGL -framework
>> OpenGL -lSM -lICE -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXext -lX11 -lXext -framework
>> Cocoa -framework Tk -lvtkPatented -lvtkIOTCL -lvtkIO -lvtkDICOMParser
>> -lvtkpng -lvtktiff -lvtkzlib -lvtkjpeg -lvtkexpat -lvtkGraphicsTCL
>> -lvtkGraphics -lvtkImagingTCL -lvtkImaging -lvtkFilteringTCL
>> -lvtkFiltering -lvtkCommonTCL -lvtkCommon -framework AppKit -lpthread
>> -lm -framework Tcl
>
> Could you please try adding '-lz' at the end of this line, this should
> force linking to zlib.

Yes, it seems to do the trick.  When I suffix this long command with
"-lz" I am able to produce a vtk binary.  Thanks!

And now, Act II.

When I run this vtk binary, it opens a WISH window which seems to work
a little.  That is, I can type:

% button .b -text goodbye -command exit
% pack .b

which creates my button.  However, I cannot bring this window to the
foreground.  Whenever I click on it, I get:

SetFrontProcess failed,-606

in the terminal window from which I ran the "vtk" binary.  Web searches
on this error message have not been unambiguously helpful.

Please advice on where to go from here.

Thanks very much,
Gordon