[vtkusers] Building VTK 4.4 on Mac OS X 10.2.6 (illegal reference to symbol: _crc32)

Gordon Kindlmann gk at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 13 14:07:30 EST 2004

hello,

> From: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com>
> To: Martin Dunschen <zabaione at uk2.net>, <vtkusers at vtk.org>
> Subject: Re: [vtkusers] make fails with compilation error on Mac OS X
> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:53:21 -0500
>
> Martin,
>
>   You have threes options:
> - you switch to VTK 4.4
> - you switch to VTK CVS
> - or you apply theses changes only:
> http://vtk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/VTK/Rendering/
> vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.7
>
> Their is currently no VTK 4.4 tarball, meanwhile you can go to:
> http://www.vtk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/
> ?cvsroot=VTK&only_with_tag=release-4-4
> Scroll down the page and click 'Download tarball'

I used this link to download a tarball, and then I got the most recent
cmake:
<http://www.cmake.org/files/v1.8/cmake-1.8.3-osx.dmg>

And I did the following:

   tar xzvf cvs_root.tar.gz
   cd VTK
   ccmake .

And I set up things like this:

  BUILD_EXAMPLES                   ON
  BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                OFF
  CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    1.8
  CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
  CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
  PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR              PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
  TCL_INCLUDE_PATH
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Headers
  TCL_LIBRARY                      -framework Tcl
  TK_INCLUDE_PATH
/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Headers
  TK_INTERNAL_PATH
/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX
  TK_LIBRARY                       -framework Tk
  VTK_DATA_ROOT                    VTK_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
  VTK_USE_CARBON                   OFF
  VTK_USE_COCOA                    ON
  VTK_USE_HYBRID                   OFF
  VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
  VTK_USE_PATENTED                 OFF
  VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
  VTK_USE_X                        OFF
  VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    OFF
  VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  OFF
  VTK_WRAP_TCL                     ON

and typed "c" twice, then "g", then:

   make

and after awhile, I get

Building object file vtkOpenGLPropertyTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLRayCastImageDisplayHelperTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLRenderWindowTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLRendererTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLTextureTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLVolumeRayCastMapperTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper2DTcl.o...
Building object file vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapperTcl.o...
Building object file vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractorTcl.o...
Building object file vtkCocoaRenderWindowTcl.o...
Building static library /Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin/libvtkRenderingTCL.a...
/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Tcl: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
Building object file vtkTkAppInit.o...
Building executable /Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin/vtk...
ld: /Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin/libvtkpng.a(png.o) illegal reference to
symbol: _crc32 defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib
make[3]: *** [/Users/gk/vtk/VTK/bin/vtk] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Wrapping_Tcl] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

Please advice on where to go from here.

Thanks very much,
Gordon