[vtkusers] Re: Please help me out on this one

Christopher M. Navarro cnavarro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 25 12:32:59 EST 2004

Hi Malcolm, David,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Malcolm Drummond wrote:

> Hi David
>
> I was just about to post this ...
>
> To do what you want using existing vtkGlyph3D I think you'll have to create dummy vectors from one of your arrays - there is no provision at the moment to scale and color from different scalar arrays (I'd be happy to be proved wrong). The other easy alternative is to use vtkProgrammableGlyphFilter (have a look first at progGlyphs.tcl and progGlyphsBySource.tcl in graphics/tests/tcl and at the source code of vtkGlyph3D to see how glyphing is implemented).
>
> HTH
> Malcolm

I'm not sure if this would work but what if you did:

glyph->SetColorModeToColorByScalar();
glyph->SetScaleModeToScaleByVector();

then, associate your data appropriately....if all you have is scalar data
then you could fake it so one appears as a vector.  ie, if I wanted to
scale the z direction I would do:

tuple 1:  1, 1, scalar
tuple 2:  1, 1, scalar

and so forth.  I don't know if this would work but it might be worth a
shot.

regards,

chris