[vtkusers] Installing VTK 4.2 on PC

Andres Kurkit sergio_monagas at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 06:41:57 EST 2004

Hello,
I am trying to install VTK 4.2 on my PC (Windows XP). I am following
the instructions included in the Readme file that came with VTK:

PC Installation

  1) Install the VTK 4.2 distribution by unzipping into the
     appropriate directory.

  2) Execute CMakeSetup. This will pop-up a little
     GUI that allows you to tailor the build. It then starts
     building .dsw and .dsp files for Microsoft, or makefiles for
Borland.
     You'll have to tell CMakeSetup where you've placed your VTK source
     code, and where to build the object code and dll's
     (we'll call it "vtkbin").

  3) When CMakeSetup completes, start up msdev and load VTK.dsw.
     Select ALL_BUILD project, and build it.

I have unzipped the source to C:\VTK and am now trying to get the cmake
stuff to work. I start CMakeSetup and then set the source directory to
c:\vtk and the destination directory to c:\vtk\builds. I select Build For
Visual Studio. I then click
configure as OK is grayed out.

After that, I try to run one of the available examples in
Vtk/Examples/Rendering/Tcl
and It shows the following error:
cant not find package vtk while executing "package require vtk"

What is the Problem in the installion?

Thanks