[vtkusers] How to stop blurring between images when volume rendering an imag e stack.

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Fri Feb 20 17:06:53 EST 2004

Hi Rupert,

It seems the "feature" you like is actually one of the shortcomings of 2D
texture mapping - seeing the space between slices from some view angles
because interpolation is only performed in 2D, not 3D.

Volume rendering assumes you have a field of data defined over some 3D
space, with an interpolation function that can be used to compute values in
between sample points. The software rendering method allows for two
different interpolation functions: trilinear and nearest neighbor. The 2D
texture mapper only allows for bilinear in the plane in which the textures
are created (this changes depending on your viewing direction).

I suspect what you want to see are the actual slices stacked on top of each
other - for this I would recommend texture mapping each image only a
polygon. You'll need to ensure that they are rendering in the correct
order, which the view frustum culler may be able to do for you.

Lisa