[vtkusers] which vtk classes to use?

David.Pont at forestresearch.co.nz David.Pont at forestresearch.co.nz
Thu Feb 19 15:42:16 EST 2004

Hi Lisa,

   if spheres (and their random points) are pre-calculated how about
vtkProbeFilter with a vtkPlaneSource as Input?

Or you could just sample your field 'on the fly' using the probe filter
concept:
Create a vtkPlaneSource, place it with SetCentre, SetNormal, use
SetXResolution and SetYResolution to suitable values (probably quite high)
for sampling your 'field'.
Create a vtkStructuredPoints with dimensions matching the plane resolution.
Traverse the points in the plane, at each point generate your spherical set
of random points, calculate the average velocity value and insert this
value (may need manipulation) into the structured points at the appropriate
location.
Create a vtkTexture and set the structured points as input.
Pass the plane to a mapper, then actor, apply the texture to the plane with
actor->SetTexture.
This should give an 'image' of the velocity field pasted onto the plane.
There are probably alternatives that output data sets other than structured
points, eg polydata.

  Dave Pont

                      "lisa hughes"
                      <lost_bits1110 at ho        To:       vtkusers at vtk.org
                      tmail.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: [vtkusers] which vtk classes to use?
                      vtkusers-admin at vt
                      k.org

                      20/02/2004 08:05

so basically I just need an idea for the pipeline...

Thanks again ,
lisa