[vtkusers] Picking points from multiple surfaces.

安 继业 an_jiye at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:29:39 EST 2004

Hi.

I have extracted multiple isosurfaces from a data set by vtkContourFilter,
just as the vtk examples Medical/Medical2.cxx illustrated. Now I want to
pick points from the displayed surfaces. I use a vtkPropCollectionto manage
all the vtkActor objects, each of them represents a single isosurface.

1. I am not so familiar with vtk till now. Can anyone tell me which kind of
pickers should I use? There are a hierarchy of picking classes in vtk, like
vtkCellPicker, vtkPointPicker, and so on. In my application, I just want to
retrieve coordinates from each surface in the rendering window. Of course
when the coordinates returned, I must know which surface this point belongs
to.

2. If I extract 2 surfaces from one data set, and 2 surfaces from another
dataset, can I display them together? Simply by add the 4 separate actors
to the rendering window? And are the 4 isosurfaces of the same coordinate
system? For example, if I pick a point from one surface from the surface of
the first data set and get it's coordinate (1, 1, 1), and another point
from the surface of the second dataset with coordinate (2, 2, 2), so can
these two coordinates be compared to calculate the shift between the two
data sets?

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jiye An