[vtkusers] VTK Configuration Errors

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Feb 10 12:41:11 EST 2004

Luca Nicotra wrote:
> Ok, now I don't get file-missing errors but still some errors remain. I
> already set the CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4,1.2 and any possible
> other version.
>
> This is the complete list of the errors I get:
>
> CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
> CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. Some variables
>  were always defined by CMake in versions prior to 1.6. To fix this you
> might need to set the cache value of
>  CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or less. If you are writing a
> CMakeList file, (or have already set
>  CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or less) then you probably need to
> include a CMake module to test for the feature
>  this variable defines.

This probably means that the files that were missing in your first
attempt caused invalid test results to be placed in the CMakeCache.txt
file in your build tree.  Please start with an empty build tree and try
the build again.

> What does "you probably need to include a CMake module to test for the
> feature this variable defines." means in practice? Include where?

This message comes after "If you are writing a CMakeList file", so it
only applies when authoring a new project to build with CMake.  That
does not apply in your case.

-Brad