[vtkusers] Terrain rendering problem

Georgios Katsaros gkatsaros at rcc.com
Tue Feb 3 12:58:56 EST 2004

Thanks Chris,

Since the terrain source creates triangle strips itself,
I'm not using vtkStripper. I have used vtkDecimatePro,
without any effect on the specific problem.

Just to try things out, I modified the code to create triangles
instead of triangle strips, and then viewed the result with and
without the stripper. Besides performance, there was little difference
in the output.

Finally, I've attached two jpg images that show the problem.
Notice how the flat, noisy-looking parts of the top view
correspond to terrain extrusions in the bottom view. These
extrusions are actually valleys that should be visible from the top.

Any comments on the cause of such an effect would be greatly appreciated.
Original post:
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-February/021962.html

Thanks again,
George.