[vtkusers] Surface rendering in VTK

安 继业 an_jiye at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:57:49 EST 2004

Dear Mathieu,

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have taken a look at ITK and found that it is mainly used for
segmentation and registration. And it does not address visualization. I
think maybe I didn't describe my requirements clearly. In my application,
the purpose is to visualize the CT slices from two studies and get the
world coordinates of some specified point from the volume. These interested
points may come from the surface of some organ. Can VTK achieve this goal?

By contouring, I mean it maybe a method to get better visualizing result.
Of course accurate segmentation will be needed at last, but now I want to
concentrate on the following things:

1. Give a 3D visualization result of a CT study, the result should contain
multiple surfaces include the body and some organs.

2. Display two 3D results from two studies together for comparison purpose.
The two studies is of the same person at different time.

3. Select interested points from each 3D result and give the coordinate of
the selected points. Then I can calculate the shift vector of each two
corresponding points from the two studies.

4. Save the visualization result(information of multi-surfaces) into a file
of STL format so that it can be reused by some other software tool.

Then what do you think about using VTK to do these? Is a segmentation
process necessary? I just want to make it as simple as possible and to
achieve the above goals as soon as possible. This tool is developed for
some other research project.

Thank you very much again.

Best Regards,
Jiye An