[vtkusers] Problem building VTK (CVS) on Mac OS X with Python

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 2 07:18:22 EST 2004

Sander Niemeijer wrote:
> I'm trying to build the CVS version of VTK with Python wrappings on Mac
> OS X (10.3 Panther) using gcc 3.3.
[]
> Building shared library
> /Users/sander/Projects/VTK/build-cvs/bin/libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib...
> ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
> -multi_module option
[]
> /Users/sander/python/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a(exceptions.o)
> definition of common _PyExc_TypeError (size 4)

It looks like you don't have a dynamic library libpython2.3.dylib in
your python installation. I think having one would solve this problem.

In the Fink package for python23, there is, after the usual configure,
make, make install stuff, the following line, an analogue of which you
could run, too:

  cc -dynamiclib -all_load -framework System -framework CoreServices
-framework Foundation %i/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a -o
%i/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.dylib -install_name
%p/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.dylib -current_version 2.3
-compatibility_version 2.3 -L%p/lib -ldl

--
Martin