[vtkusers] Surface rendering in VTK

An Jiye an_jiye at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 1 01:34:33 EST 2004

Hello, I am a newbie of VTK. Here I have some questions about surface rendering.

I have some DICOM images from a CT study. I want to visualize them with surface rendering technique. I am interested in the surfaces of the body and some inside organs, and the body should be displayed in semi-transparent mode in order to make the inside organs visible. Can anyone give me some suggestions about how to do this with VTK? Do I need to mark the contour of the body and organs in each slice manually? Are there some similar samples?

Another requirement is that, I'd like to display two or more studies in one window for comparison. After that, I will pick some interested points from the volume using mouse. The coordinates of the picking point is wanted. The final purpose is to calculate the shift vector of the 3D point pair from two studies, these two points stands for the same physical part of human body or organ. To ensure the shift vector make sense, the coorndinates of the two volumes must be exactly the same.

Now I can read files of DICOM format and get the original gray value matrices of each slice. But I wonder how to visualize the multiple surfaces from these slieces and how to retrieve the coordinates of the picking points from the two volumes.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thand you in advance.

Jiye An