[vtkusers] Deprecated C++ headers

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Dec 31 17:36:21 EST 2004

Roland Schulz wrote:
> VTK: 4.4
> ICC: 8.1
> Header: strstream
> From: Common/vtkIOStream.h(32)
>
> Error Message:
> Building object file vtkAbstractMapper.o...
> /export/home/hpc026/VTK/Common/vtkIOStream.h(32): catastrophic error:
> could not open source file "strstream"
>   # include <strstream> // Include real ansi strstreams.

VTK has a bunch of compatibility headers to help it work with older
compilers.  Until now every compiler has supported the old <strstream>
header or a variation of it so there was little motivation to upgrade to
use the new <sstream> header since old compilers don't provide it.  Some
of our other projects use <sstream> and have a compatibility
implementation to work with compilers that provide only <strstream>.

This can be fixed.  Please submit this as a bug report here:

http://www.vtk.org/Bug

Thanks,
-Brad