[vtkusers] vtkRenderWindowInteractor and multithreading

ttickle ttickle at cs.uno.edu
Thu Dec 9 19:01:02 EST 2004

    I have a windows application which I am writing which preforms live
updates to the Renderer held by my RenderWindow.  I have a thread which
every so often preforms updates to objects representing data about a
particular task.  The vtkProp objects which represent the onscreen
display of these objects are updated.  Next, I attempt to remove all the
objects from the scene (cause I will be reordering the display so that
objects have order to them).  I then get an assembly from each object
containing all the vtkActors representing the object and add them to
renderer at their appropriate places.  I then attempt to call the
windows Render method to preform the updated visualization.

    I also have a vtkRendererWindowInteractor running at this time so
that I may move around and get closeup views of the tasks (thus able to
get more detailed information).  However, when I attempt to call render
on the window after updating, I get a number of messages which I cannot
fully read due to the application crashing near this point.  The errors
mention that a wiggle call to make current (I assume the rendering
context) failed.

    After doing some more testing, I have just window->Render() being
called.  (No actors have been added to the renderer, and none of the
vtkActors representing the tasks have been updated.)  This still results
in a crash as soon as render is called.  So I then tried calling the
interactors Render method.  However, this also results in a crash as
soon as it is called.

    I assume I am running into a problem with mutlithreading.  Is their
anyway to use the interactor in a multithreaded application (maybe
somehow stop the interactor from trying to render) while I preform my
updates.  Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Thomas Tickle