[vtkusers] Compiling VTK + JAVA on solaris

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 08:51:37 EST 2004

libvtkCommonJava.so needs to link to libCrun.
When most C++ compilers create a shared library they
automatically add the c++ run time library to the link line.
However, the sun compiler does not seem to do that.
So, I think it can be fixed with a small change to the
CMakeLists.txt files in VTK.

In the top level VTK CMakeLists.txt file, after this comment:
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# VTK requires special compiler flags on some platforms.

Add this:

# make sure Crun is linked in with the native compiler, it is
# not used by default for shared libraries and is required for
# things like java to work.
IF(CMAKE_SYSTEM MATCHES "SunOS.*")
  IF(NOT CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX)
     LINK_LIBRARIES(Crun)
  ENDIF(NOT CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX)
ENDIF(CMAKE_SYSTEM MATCHES "SunOS.*")

Then remove bin/*.so and re-link all the shared libraries.
It should fix the problem.  I have checked the fix into
cvs VTK, but it should work with any other version as well.

-Bill