[vtkusers] compiling VTK on Mac OSX with Python

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Wed Dec 1 17:40:26 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to get VTK with Python support compiled on Mac OS X 10.3.
I'm a long time Linux and Solaris user but just getting started with OS
X so I'm not up on all the changes that need made.

I found this and tried following the same instructions:

http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-October/076684.html

I installed python 2.4 (I thought I read there were some improvements
with shared libraries for OS X in python 2.4) using:

./configure --prefix=/Users/dreed/py24 --enable-shared
BASECFLAGS=-fno-common
make
make install

then downloaded VTK. I've tried both 4.2 and 4.4. I seem to get farther
with 4.4. I made certain the CMakeCache.txt file points out my new
python. VTK seems to want Tk which doesn't appear to be on my Mac. Is
there a specific Tk I should download and install?

Compiling 4.4 finally dies when trying to:

Building object file vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.o...

It complains about some conflicting declarations of various X functions
(included some below) but the real problem seems to be I don't have a
tkMacOSX.h file. I didn't seem to have Tk on my Mac but do have some
Tcl files in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework

VTK seems to need Tk so I installed Tk using darwinports.org but that
doesn't seem to have that file. Can anyone help me get vtk installed
with Python (darwinports.org doesn't include Python support in its VTK
port).

Thanks,
Dave

/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkIntXlibDecls.h:935:
error: declaration
    of C function `void XQueryColor(Display*, long unsigned int,
XColor*)'
    conflicts with
/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:3484: error: previous declaration `int
    XQueryColor(Display*, long unsigned int, XColor*)' here
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkIntXlibDecls.h:939:
error: declaration
    of C function `void XQueryColors(Display*, long unsigned int,
XColor*, int)'
    conflicts with
/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:3493: error: previous declaration `int
    XQueryColors(Display*, long unsigned int, XColor*, int)' here
In file included from
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx:38,
                  from
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.cxx:17:
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:20:22:
tkMacOSX.h: No such file or directory
In file included from
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx:38,
                  from
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.cxx:17:
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:76: error:
syntax
    error before `*' token
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:77: error:
syntax
    error before `*' token
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:78: error:
syntax
    error before `*' token
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:79: error:
syntax
    error before `*' token
/Users/dreed/VTK/Rendering/tkInternals/tk84OSX/tkMacOSXInt.h:80: error:
syntax
    error before `*' token
make[3]: *** [vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2