[vtkusers] Cell data in a vtkPolyData object

Charles Boivin Charles.Boivin at rwdiwest.com
Fri Aug 27 15:31:57 EDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who answered my original question on cell data in a
vtkPolyData object (Sander, John, and Clinton). I could not expect my
question would generate such a thread but it has been very informative.

I am glad to see that what I was basically coming to believe was
happening is *really* happening. I must admit it is a bit of a let-down.
I've seen this happen before -- it seems like cell data is very much an
afterthought in visualization software. AVS, for example, has an awful
support for it; most algorithms expect node data. Sure, node data is
great for FE people, but when you're dealing with FV methods, what you
are really interested in is cell data (at least I am!)

However, there *is* a workaround, provided you know which mapper you
are using, so I believe that that is the approach I will be taking. I
will do some more bookkeeping as I am reading my data and will make sure
I order things properly for the cell data. I still believe this should
be happening "under the hood", but I'll just live with it for now...

Thanks to everyone for your expertise, it has been really helpful.

Charles Boivin