[vtkusers] recent vtkClipDataSet can give non-tets?

Adrian Umpleby a.umpleby at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 27 11:50:51 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've been using vtkClipDataSet with version 4.2 of vtk to cut off a
hexahedral mesh at a scalar value of zero. This gives all tets (though
some of them are very thin slivers on the cut surface, which I have to
deal with before continuing), just as the (latest) documentation says:

"vtkClipDataSet will triangulate all types of 3D cells (i.e., create
tetrahedra). This is true even if the cell is not actually cut. This is
necessary to preserve compatibility across face neighbors..."

However, I've recently been using it on some upgraded Linux boxes which
have version 4.4 of vtk, and now I find a whole load of wedges coming
out of vtkClipDataSet!

Is this the way vtkClipDataSet is supposed to behave now? Is there a
way to choose to switch it back to tets? (Couldn't see anything in
member list.)

Thanks,

Adrian