[vtkusers] ATI Petition for Adequate Drivers in Linux

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 05:18:20 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:11:56 +0800, Day, Robert
<robert.day at health.wa.gov.au> wrote:
> I suspect that was a typo for Radeon, which ATI do make in a bewildering variety of forms, see <http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html>.

Ahem, I was joking, hence the smiley at the end of my mail.

> That still doesn't excuse the typo, which would devalue any serious attempt to influence the company.  personally, I'd be happy enough if they would fix the windows XP drivers for their laptop cards.  In my case I have a Toshiba; ATI says Toshiba do the drivers, Toshiba hasn't released a new one in ages, the current one is broken for several mainstream apps (and vtk), although not terminally.  I have to say nVidia does a much better job at this part of the customer satisfaction equation.

You can't really blame ATI: your vendor, Toshiba in this case, is
technically supposed to update your drivers.  If your vendor does not
respond to your complaints, you can always try the Omega drivers
(these are modified Catalyst drivers that also work on laptops).