[vtkusers] ATI Petition for Adequate Drivers in Linux

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Aug 23 18:25:14 EDT 2004

You can go there to sign it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

To:  ATI Technologies Inc.

We are the customers of ATI who use Linux to power our computers. We
will no longer endure ATI™s poor driver support for Linux both in 32-bit
and 64-bit computing. This petition is aimed at the designers at ATI who
for whatever reason choose not to acknowledge our pleas and specifically
at ATI as a company. The signers of this petition will no longer
purchase ATI products until ATI make a workable 3D accelerated 64-bit
driver for Linux and a 32-bit that utilizes the full potential of the
Raedon chips.

The products we include in this are as follows:
1. All desktop Raedon chips up through 9800
2. All mobile Raedon chips up through 9800
3. All X-series chips
4. All TV and Remote Wonders
5. All FireGL chips

Also in this petition we ask ATI to change their current position on
mobile drivers. With Linux, one of the major challenges to developers is
to make it possible for any machine to run the operating system. To have
every OEM develop their own drivers for each component of their machines
and update them would be preposterous since they don’t even make the
components. NVidia has learned this and has prospered since their
drivers in general work with any and all notebook screens. They believe,
and rightly so that it is the responsibility of the components
manufacturer to create a driver that will work with every other
component. Therefore the drivers that we ask to be created for Linux
must also work for mobile chips.

Specifically, since 64-bit computing is new to the world, we understand
that a rough driver that might not work perfectly is unavoidable. This
being said we need some kind of driver no matter how rough so that we
can utilize the chip that we have already purchased from you. Your
current 32-bit driver for Linux is so inadequate compared to the one
released for Windows that it performs as slow ones many generations
older. This must be rectified.

In the event that ATI cannot handle the programming of these drivers, we
require all modern ATI chips to be open sourced to the Linux community
so that drivers can be made. This would include all schematics and
technical information pertaining to the video cards produced by ATI.

Again until we see these changes, the signers of this petition cannot
support you by purchasing any more of your products.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned