[vtkusers] Problems with picking and text annotation in vtk4.2

Dimitrios Andritsos jimandr at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 18:16:53 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I am writing to report a problem that I have when picking actors from a scene.

I built vtk 4.2 today and rebuilt an application that I had designed with vtk 4.0. I am working in windows and I am using MSVC 6.

Once my geometry has been rendered to the screen, I have a render window that contains multiple actors. The program is designed in such a way, so that when an actor is picked, it is highlighted by using a bounding box, it is made semi-transparent and some data related to it are displayed at the point where the pick has been made by using a vtkTextActor. This worked fine with vtk 4.0 but the not with 4.2. All actors in the render window appear at an incorrect depth order and a confusing image appears. Actors that are supposed to be in the back, covered by other actors, come in the front with the actor that has been picked coming completely in the front (although it should not). After I click on the screen again everything comes back to normal as the actor is deselected. Text display and actor transparency work correctly though, as they should.

Has anyone ever had such a problem in the past? Is there a fix to that?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Dimitris