[vtkusers] problem compiling my application

Lucas Lorenzo lucas at cvrti.utah.edu
Tue Aug 17 20:24:13 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a simple program that reads a volume in the form
of vtkStructuredPoints and extracts a particular slice (using
vtkImageReslice) in order to display it:

#include "vtkStructuredPointsReader.h"
#include "vtkLookupTable.h"
#include "vtkImageReslice.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindow.h"
#include "vtkCamera.h"
#include "vtkActor.h"
#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkDataSetMapper.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h"

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{

   vtkStructuredPointsReader *image_reader =
vtkStructuredPointsReader::New();
   image_reader->SetFileName("myfile.vtk");

   unsigned short lowval = 0;
   unsigned short highval = 306;
   vtkLookupTable *lut = vtkLookupTable::New();
   lut->SetNumberOfTableValues(1024);
   lut->SetTableRange(lowval,highval);
   lut->SetHueRange(1,1);
   lut->SetSaturationRange(0,0);
   lut->SetValueRange(0,1);
   lut->Build();

   vtkImageReslice *get_slice = vtkImageReslice::New();
   get_slice->SetInput(image_reader->GetOutput());
   get_slice->SetOutputDimensionality(2);
   get_slice->SetResliceAxesOrigin(0,0,33);

   vtkDataSetMapper *im_mapper = vtkDataSetMapper::New();
   im_mapper->SetInput(get_slice->GetOutput());
   im_mapper->SetScalarRange(lowval,highval);
   im_mapper->SetColorModeToMapScalars();
   im_mapper->SetLookupTable(lut);

   vtkActor *imActor = vtkActor::New();
   imActor->SetMapper(im_mapper);

   // Create the RenderWindow, Renderer and both Actors
   vtkRenderer *ren1 = vtkRenderer::New();
   vtkRenderWindow *renWin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
   renWin->AddRenderer(ren1);
   vtkRenderWindowInteractor *iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
   iren->SetRenderWindow(renWin);

   // Add the actors to the renderer, set the background and size
   ren1->AddActor(imActor);
   renWin->SetSize(640,640);

   // render the image
   vtkCamera *cam1 = ren1->GetActiveCamera();
   cam1->Zoom(2.5);
   renWin->Render();

   // deallocate memory:
   image_reader->Delete();
   lut->Delete();
   get_slice->Delete();
   im_mapper->Delete();
   imActor->Delete();
   ren1->Delete();
   renWin->Delete();
   iren->Delete();

   return 0;
}

When compiling I have the following error:

Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
Building object file ThresholdVTK.o...
/private/var/automount/mom/u/lucas/Borrar/ThresholdVTK.cxx: In function
`int
    main(int, char**)':
/private/var/automount/mom/u/lucas/Borrar/ThresholdVTK.cxx:30: error: no
    matching function for call to `vtkImageReslice::SetInput(
    vtkStructuredPoints*)'
/scratch/lucas/bin/VTK-4.4/VTK-binary/include/vtk/
vtkImageToImageFilter.h:40: error: candidates
    are: virtual void vtkImageToImageFilter::SetInput(vtkImageData*)
/private/var/automount/mom/u/lucas/Borrar/ThresholdVTK.cxx:36: error: no
    matching function for call to
`vtkDataSetMapper::SetInput(vtkImageData*)'
/scratch/lucas/bin/VTK-4.4/VTK-binary/include/vtk/vtkDataSetMapper.h:
56: error: candidates
    are: void vtkDataSetMapper::SetInput(vtkDataSet*)
make[1]: *** [ThresholdVTK.o] Error 1
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

It is my understanding that  vtkStructuredPoints inherits vtkImageData.
But I must be missing something here.
If you guys have any clue about this, please let me know.
Thanks,

Lucas Lorenzo

PS: the CMakeList.txt file is only this:

PROJECT (ThresholdVTK)

INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/FindVTK.cmake)
IF (USE_VTK_FILE)
   INCLUDE(${USE_VTK_FILE})
ENDIF (USE_VTK_FILE)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(ThresholdVTK ThresholdVTK.cxx)
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ThresholdVTK vtkRendering vtkImaging vtkIO)

University of Utah
Nora Eccles Harrison CardioVascular Research and Training Institute
Fellows Room
95 South 2000 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5000

e-mail:  lucas at cvrti.utah.edu