[vtkusers] Help Compiling VTK on Mac OSX

Anthony McCormick avmccormick at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 17:49:28 EDT 2004

Hello,

   I need help with make errors I am receiving when attempting to build
VTK.  I am using cmake Ver 2.0.3 and VTK Ver 4.2.  I  am using a
PowerMac dual 2Ghz G5.
Mac OSX 10.3.5 with gcc version

[Anthony-McCormicks-G5:~] anthonym% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)

I followed the install instruction, however I receive the following
message:

Issuing the cmake command yields

[Anthony-McCormicks-G5:/Develop/osxBin] anthonym% cmake ../VTK
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
-- Check for working CXX compiler: c++ -- works
-- Compiling VTK CMake commands
-- Compiling VTK CMake commands - done
-- Using Buildname: Darwin-c++
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /Develop/osxBin

Now issuing the make command I have

[Anthony-McCormicks-G5:/Develop/osxBin] anthonym% make
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Develop/osxBin/Wrapping: building default_target
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities: building default_target
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/zlib: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/jpeg: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/png: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/tiff: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/expat: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/Doxygen: building default_target
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/freetype: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/ftgl: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Common: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Filtering: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Imaging: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Graphics: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/IO: building default_target
/Develop/osxBin/Rendering: building default_target
Building object file vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.o...
/Develop/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx: In function
`
    OSStatus myWinEvtHndlr(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*,
void*)':
/Develop/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:188: error:
non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
/Develop/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:196: error:
non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
/Develop/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:204: error:
non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
make[3]: *** [vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2
[Anthony-McCormicks-G5:/Develop/osxBin] anthonym%

I seem to be having some problems with
/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dynamic Sciences, Inc.
Anthony V McCormick