[vtkusers] data input by graphical interface

Ben McLean bmclean at finlaylabs.net
Sat Aug 14 05:45:30 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I am doing a PhD in geophysics, which includes a program that reads in a
floating-point array of data (maybe an ascii file). I want to be able to
graphically adjust the values of this array before outputting to a file.

I would like to be able to interactively and graphically modify this array of
values, say by 'painting' with colours on a 2D representation that then maps
to floating-point numbers. This would then output an ascii file of data
suitable for reading in by other programs. This is the reverse direction from
standard scientific plotting programs, where data arrays are mapped to colour
and output to screen. I want to use screen interaction with a colour-mapped
array in a paint-like manner, which will then output the corresponding array.

Does VTI lend itself to doing this? Any examples? If not, have you any
alternate suggestions? Thanks for your assistance,

Ben.