[vtkusers] c# port of VTK

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 3 12:06:53 EDT 2004

>> It's relatively easy to create wrappers for vtk and the overhead is
>> minimal in calling them. A lost microsecond when processing
>> hundreds of MB of data is not worth saving.
>
> I wonder if this comment comes out of real experience with C# and
> managed C++/C wrapping?
>
> I think that the overhead can actually become quite substancial.
> Great care must be taken to obtain an efficient C#-based VTK.
>
> Best regards,
> - Lars

   I cannot speak for John, but I never took him to be referring to C#.
Rather, he references the considerable experience of himself and others
in using VTK via one of its current wrappers (Java, Python, and Tcl).
His comment is pretty solid and should be applicable. Please see these
projects for examples:

   MayaVi   <http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/>
   Slicer   <http://www.slicer.org/>
   ParaView <http://www.paraview.org/>