[vtkusers] c# port of VTK

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Aug 3 00:08:40 EDT 2004

    SMI> Andy,
    SMI>    I can only conclude that C# is evil. My advice is to
    SMI>    forswear all
    SMI> things Microsoft and move to a mountain commune. Save your
    SMI> soul and use the Python wrappers if you want the advantages
    SMI> of a "managing" language.  .Net is just another of many MS
    SMI> products designed to "cut off the air supply" of existing
    SMI> solutions.

He is right about the virtuals and the issue is much the same with
Python or any wrapped language.  Checking to see if a virtual function
has been created in the target language can be expensive.  How
expensive depends but it can be significant in some cases.  I don't
know how it compares to the C# <-> C++ interface though.

BTW, the VTK Python wrappers do not allow one to override virtuals in
the target language and still be seen by the C++ side, i.e. if you
override a virtual in Python and pass an instance of the class to a
VTK object in C++, it cannot access the overridden function.

Also, non-MS implementations of the .net environment are available in
the form of DotGNU and Mono.  Whether they are also nono's I am not
sure about. :-D

cheers,
prabhu