[vtkusers] Mac problem, vtkCocoaGLView.mm

Eugene Kim eugene at salk.edu
Mon Aug 2 16:36:33 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

	I'm not sure if i'm the first one to encounter this bug, but it
seems pretty major.  I'm using a mac with osx 10.3.4, and java version
1.4.2.  I've gotten vtk to compile for java with some complications,
however this is not the end to my problems.  No java program calling vtk
libraries has ever been consistent for me, and in trying to find out where
the problem is, i've wrapped for Tcl and things work there just fine.
Recently, I built vtk again with debugging info, and using gdb, I get this
nice error message:

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not
access memory.
-[vtkCocoaGLView drawRect:] (self=0x33cbf0, _cmd=0x33cc08, theRect={origin
= {x = 0, y = 0}, size = {width = 300, height = 300}}) at
/Develop/VTK/Rendering/vtkCocoaGLView.mm:85
85        if ( myVTKRenderWindow->GetMapped() )

This is after running the Cone.java example.  To be more clear, sometimes
running Cone works, sometimes it doesn't... more often it doesn't.  This
seems to be a memory issue then, and the error message would agree.  I'm
not too familiar with objective-C, and so I really have no idea what to do
about this.

	I'm wondering if other mac users with 10.3.4 and java 1.4.2 have
similar issues.  I've heard some things about nvidia cards, as my mac has
an nvidia card.  Also, a workstation that I use also has an nvidia card,
and vtk with java is not consistent there either (it runs freebsd).
Someone recently said they installed new nvidia drivers which solved some
problems, and so far I haven't had a mac update in awhile.  Any news,
suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
Eugene Kim