[vtkusers] VTK and FEM meshes

Sarzynski, Melanie D melanies at neo.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 2 12:28:23 EDT 2004

I am attempting to use VTK to output *.stl files that can be loaded into a
finite element analysis tool, ie Patran/Abaqus.  My problem consists of a
cube with a cylindrical hole through the middle.  When I export this
problem, it consists of two surfaces--the outside of the cube and the
surface of the cylindrical hole, with nothing in between.

I have been able to import the *.stl file into Patran.  The data consists of
nodes and 2D elements.  However, I want solid elements for the analysis.
Does anyone know how to convert this data into solid elements?
Alternatively, does anyone know how to export geometric primitives (points,
lines, etc) from VTK?  If I could do this I could define surfaces, etc and
create the mesh myself.

Thanks,

Melanie