[vtkusers] Beginner's question on examples

Qi Wei qwei at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 30 18:07:49 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I just started to use VTK. I've installed the VTK package and the Cmake,
following the steps in readme file. I also successfully build the project
in VC++. (I use windows)

I did turn the option "build examples" and "build testing" ON in the Cmake
option. My source is in "C:/P~/VTK" and my target is under
"C:/P~/VTK_build".

However, I notice that the "Examples" folder in "VTK_build",
is empty except for a file named "DartTestfile.txt".. I am assuming
none of the examples in the source VTK folder was compiled into the new
folder.

Has anyboday had this problem before? :-) Any hint will be appreciated.

Another problem is that we I tried to use Cmake on the
files under VTK/Example/tutorials/Step1, it gives me an error:
"CMake Error: VTK was built using "msdev", but step 1 is using "devenv".
The build will fail. I don't quite get what this means..

Thanks, Qi