[vtkusers] vtkRenderWindowInteractor weirdness questions

Chris Volpe cvolpe at ara.com
Wed Apr 28 19:55:21 EDT 2004

Hi folks-

  In the course of trying to integrate a custom interactor with a render
window inside a vtkTkRenderWidget, I discovered a couple of strange
things that I was hoping someone could explain:

1) You can't (or so it seems) assign a render window that's inside a
vtkTkRenderWidget to a vtkRenderWindowInteractor. Upon execution, it
pops up a barrage of empty "Application Error" windows and then
apparently deletes them back to front in the same order it created them,
leaving the most recently created one. In the console window there are a
bunch of errors like this:

bgerror failed to handle background error.

    Original error: Object named: mainRWI, could not find requested
method: EnterEvent

or the method was called with incorrect arguments.

    Error in bgerror: can't make ".bgerrorDialog" its own master

bgerror failed to handle background error.

    Original error: Object named: mainRWI, could not find requested
method: MouseMoveEvent

or the method was called with incorrect arguments.

Why do these errors occur? Why does the interactor not like render
windows that have been placed inside TkRenderWidgets?

2) Noting that I can nevertheless interact in a TkRenderWidget, I
figured there was an interactor there somewhere and checked for a
GetInteractor method on the render window to see if it has one, and to
my happy surprise, it does. (I guess the interactor<->window
relationship is bidirectional - cool.) However, when I do "renWin
GetInteractor", instead of seeing a familiar and comforting "vtkTemp1"
(for varying values of '1' :-)), I see "duh_renWin_iren". What gives? Is
there a hack in the TCL wrapper generator code that returns creative
names if the method being wrapped is vtkRenderWindow::GetInteractor()?
And is this indicative of something going on here that I need to be
concerned with when manipulating the returned interactor object?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Christopher R. Volpe, Ph.D.

Senior Scientist
Email: cvolpe at ara.com
Applied Research Associates, Inc.                                Voice:
919-582-3380
8540 Colonnade Center Dr., Ste 301
Fax: 919-878-3672
Raleigh, NC 27615