[vtkusers] vtkStreamTracer - Latest

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Tue Apr 27 16:17:32 EDT 2004

Ah,

It starts to come together. The reason for the unexpected value error is
something related to the maxpropagation value. I have set my step value to
cell_length but I am using terminal speed and maxpropagation. The reason why
the stream tracer is stopping abruptly is because it is exceeding the max
propagation time. I didn't twig this because the reason given was unexpected
value (not OUT_OF_TIME).

I am going to experiment a little and see if I can get my code to try and
automatically find the settings to get the tracer to exit the domain. I will
play with minimum step, max step, terminal speed, max propagation time and
the error. I suppose I could set the max prop time to some extremely large
number, the terminal speed to an extremely low number, the initial (and
minimum) step very small and the max step to 100% of element length (I am
assuming that the value given to step length when in CELL_LENGTH mode is a
factor times the cell length e.g. if I give it 0.1 it means 10% cell
length). The error - is this dealt with in absolute units (as opposed to
being an error ratio)?

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Jim