[vtkusers] vtkAttributeDataToFieldDataFilter

John Platt jcplatt at lineone.net
Thu Apr 22 16:39:08 EDT 2004

Hi users,

I am trying to use vtkAttributeDataToFieldDataFilter to clear all the
attribute data but still retain the data arrays as cell or point field
data. Or in other words, set AttributeIndices[] to -1. I thought this
was the function of this filter, but the output appears to be just a
copy of the input - complete with the attributes unchanged. I tried
PassAttributeDataOff() but this had no effect. The method just appears
to set a dangling member variable.

Does anybody know what this filter should be used for? Google did turn
up a document stating this filter would be deprecated at version 4.0.

If it is deprecated, and there is no other filter to do this, is it
worth modifying vtkAssignAttribute so that something like

aa->Assign(NULL, vtkDataSetAttributes::SCALARS,
vtkAttributeLocation::POINT_DATA);

unassigns the current point scalars.

For the curious who are wondering why I want to do this, it is to
prevent vtkCutter::GenerateCutScalarsOn() from deleting the existing
input point scalars (this method must be called for cutting nonlinear
cells).

Thanks in advance.

John.