[vtkusers] Speed of zoom

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Thu Apr 22 06:16:42 EDT 2004

Fred,

Many thanks. There are two main styles of interactor (Trackball and
Joystick). I am using the trackball already. The "problem" is more
subtle/complex than that. It is related (see Lisa's e-mail reply to me) to
the fact that the zoom control (in trackball mode) using mouse movement is
gauged relative to the focal point position. As you get closer to the
camera's focal point, the zoom rate slows down. The problem with this is the
user (of the software, not the library) isn't aware of the camera's focal
point position (or probably even that he is using a "camera") and thus the
zoom rate apparently slows down for no reason depending on your "angle of
attack". The suggestion was to use "dolly" (which effectively factors the
camera's view angle, thus giving the equivalent of a physical camera's zoom
as opposed to increasing the detail by moving closer). This is not desirable
for my purposes.

Thanks again anyway,

Regards,

Jim