[vtkusers] Contours and scalars?

Malcolm Drummond malcolm at geovision.co.za
Tue Apr 20 07:37:23 EDT 2004

Hi David

I'm guessing you want to contour on elevation but some datasets contain values for speed, energy, temperature etc at every point - how else would users be able to contour these if it was not done through scalars?

If you want to contour your z values you can use a vtkElevationFilter to generate scalars from your dataset. First you'll have to generate some structure though, at the moment you just have a bunch of unconnected points. Try running your data through vtkDelaunay2D, this will give you a dataset of connected triangles - then use the elevation filter, then contour.

If you search through the examples you'll find cases of vtkElevationFilter, vtkDelaunay2D, vtkContourFilter.

HTH
Malcolm