[vtkusers] Correct approach for assembly of polylines?

jarv0075 jarv0075 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 14 12:14:33 EDT 2004

> vtkStripper does make sure that the cells it connects share points; it
> doesn't just blindly connect cells together.
>
> - Amy

Maybe I am being dense here.

I'm taking the output of the cutter, into the stripper, into polydata, and
then triangulating it, similar to the 'cowcut' example.

The problem is, the stripper output in my case, is a collection of both
closed, an d unclosed polylines.  The 'holes' and smaller objects tend to
be filled, whereas it appears to split larger 'edges' into several separate
polylines.

Hence, the standard polydata setlines/setpoints [strip getlines/getpoints]
method will not work.

Thus, when I go to triangulate it, it fails, illustrated below.

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~tjarvis/tri_fail.jpg

So I'm manually inserting cells into a vtkcellarray for the 'closed'
polylines, and then trying to reassemble the other ones before adding them
to the face.  Which seems terribly inefficient.