[vtkusers] Suggestions for a newbie? (what versions?)

James Carroll jim at microbrightfield.com
Tue Apr 13 16:14:59 EDT 2004

Hi,  I'm about to dive in to VTK, I've been lurking on the mailing list
for a while and reading the User's Guide, etc...  Which version of VTK
should I start with for a pain-free experience?

My first project is to try to use the TIFFImageIO to write very large
TIFF files setting IORegion then writing a little more... If the tiff is
tiled internally, I should be able to write very large files efficiently
(1.5GB with each tile jpeg compressed.)  I plan on subclassing
ImageIOBase to incrementally write a custom file format, and maybe
jpeg2000 as well.

I'm comfortable with wxPython, (wxPython 2.5 w/ Python2.3.3) and want to
use it for my front end.  I may eventually need to write and wrap some
additional C++ to optimize some image processing, etc.

The FAQ says to use 4.2, I've seen that others are using 4.4, I read in
the news that 4.6 is recently released, I've also got CVS HEAD
up-to-date in my project directory.  Which version should I start with
for a pain-free experience?

(Is there a stable Branch Tag in CVS that would keep me off the bleeding
edge?)

Thanks,
-Jim Carroll