[vtkusers] add same actor to multiple render windows

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 9 14:00:08 EDT 2004

    John> Is this to be expected?  Should adding the same actor to
    John> multiple renderers work?  It would be nice to use the same
    John> actor so that changes in the properties in one window (eg
    John> color, size) would be reflected in the other w/o minimal
    John> work.

I received this helpful reply off list - thought I'd post it here for
the archives

From: Clinton Stimpson <clinton at elemtech.com>
Subject: Re: vtkusers digest, Vol 1 #2554 - 12 msgs
To: jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:04:28 -0600

If you share actors, the two different contexts cannot share opengl
drawing lists.  You need to set immediate mode rendering on. (e.g.
vtkMapper::ImmediateModeRenderingOn) so that drawing lists are not
created.  Rendering can be slower for you.  Your other choice is to
create windows that share contexts (which I don't see an easy way to
do in VTK), and you can still use drawing lists.

Clint