[vtkusers] Wiki for VTK

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Apr 9 13:41:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

A while back I brought up[1] the case for a Wiki for VTK.  Many people
wholeheartedly approved of the suggestion and offered to contribute to
this Wiki.  Andy offered to even set one up at the Kitware server.  I
did not have too much experience on what Wiki would be the best to use
and left that as an open issue.

I recently came across MediaWiki which is the software used to run
wikipedia.

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/mediawiki/

It has amazing features and certainly works extremely well.  The
features can be seen here:

  http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/features.html

>From what I have heard and seen of it I don't think there is another
Wiki that comes close to these features.  It supports pretty much all
we'll ever need including a decent search engine.  MediaWiki is GPL'd
and runs on PHP and MySQL.

So I suggest that we use MediaWiki.

Andy, installation instructions are also available from here:

  http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide

Hope this helps.

cheers,
prabhu

[1] In probably the most entertaining thread of this year on the VTK
lists. ;-)