[vtkusers] vtk 4.2 - vtkPolyData - InsertNextLinkedCell problem

Christoph Heindl christoph.heindl at fh-hagenberg.at
Fri Apr 9 02:21:07 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm recently working on an algorithm which requires me to insert new
cells into the mesh. As I'm in need of topological queries, i have
called BuildLinks() before the algorithm starts.
whenever i insert a new cell (VTK_TRIANGLE) by using
vtkPolyData::InsertNextLinkedCell(VTK_TRIANGLE, 3, pts), i get the cell
id of the inserted cell. But it seems that vtkPolyData does not update
cell structures internally. In other words: Calling vtkPolyData::GetCell
with the returned cell id and looping through the contained point ids
does not yell the same point ids which were used when inserting the cell.
After endless hours of messing around with vtkPolyData i found that calling
vtkPolyData::InsertNextLinkedCell(VTK_TRIANGLE, 3, pts)
vtkPolyData::InsertNextLinkedCell(VTK_TRIANGLE, 3, pts)
(twice) does the job (although more cells are inserted as necessary, but
at least i can access the correct cell with the returned cell id).
Is there any known bug with this method or is it my fault?

thx in advance,
christoph