[vtkusers] volume rendering transfer functions

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 8 16:56:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

   This question is tangentially related to the previous discussion of
creating transfer function editors. It is fairly straightforward to
represent the transfer functions with a 1D plot of the color and scalar
opacity (RGBA, HSVA, or luminance-alpha) for the range of scalars
mapped. However, I am unsure how the gradient opacity interacts with the
scalar opacity to produce the mapped opacity. Without necessarily
considering integration along a ray, can anyone provide a simple
equation explaining how an opacity value is mapped from the two opacity
transfer functions. I am assuming that the gradient opacity transfer
function is mapping opacity to the gradient magnitude. An editor
interface could thereby use a 2D plot to represent the transfer
functions with the gradient opacity plotted on a y-axis over the range
of gradient magnitudes in a data set. Is the mapped opacity the average
of the two lookup values ... or something spiffier? ... calling Lisa
Avila to the rescue.

-Sean