[vtkusers] vtkLocal and python

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 8 09:03:07 EDT 2004

I just built and installed a filter (vtkRemoveCellsFilter) using
vtkLocal for use with python.  It went OK, but I had to do several
things manually so I am wondering if I missed the obvious way to do
it.

Here is what I did:

  * put the *.cxx and *.h file in vtkLocal and edited the
    CMakeLists.txt file as described in the README.  Ran cmake -i and
    then make in the vtkLocal dir.

  * The make failed with a link error in the Testing dir but the libs
    were built (make output below).  I suspect this is why I had to do
    the rest by hand

  * Copied the bin/libvtk* to /usr/local/lib/vtk/

  * edited python site-packages/vtk_python/vtk/__init__.py to add the
    'local' kit and then created local.py to import all the symbols
    from libvtkLocalPython.

I'm guessing all of the last steps would have worked automatically had
my make not failed.  Any suggestions about what I can do to fix the
make?

BTW: how do I see the actual gcc commands generated by cmake/make?

Thanks,
John Hunter

hunter:~/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/vtkLocal> make
/hunter/jdhunter/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/vtkLocal/Testing: building default_target
cmake.depends is up-to-date
/hunter/jdhunter/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/vtkLocal/Testing/Cxxq: building default_target
Building executable /hunter/jdhunter/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/vtkLocal/bin/vtkLocalTest...
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataSource::GetOutput()'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtable for vtkPolyDataSource'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::CollectRevisions(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::SetInput(vtkPolyData*)'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::GetInput()'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::PrintSelf(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, vtkIndent)'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter::vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter[not-in-charge]()'
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkLocal.so: undefined reference to `vtkPolyDataSource::ComputeInputUpdateExtents(vtkDataObject*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [/hunter/jdhunter/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/vtkLocal/bin/vtkLocalTest] Error 1
make[4]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[3]: *** [default_target_Cxx] Error 2
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Testing] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2
hunter:~/c/src/VTK-4.4/Examples/Build/